A symbol of revolution against the British occupation of Indian subcontinent, Bradlaugh Hall is regarded as an epicenter of organized resistance against colonial rule in Lahore. It was built in the 19th century on Rattigan Road through the fundraising efforts of Indian National Congress, one of the earliest political organizations in Lahore, which at that time was in search of a dedicated space to conduct its political sessions. Following the Hall’s inauguration in 1900, it became the cultural and educational mainstay for forums on literature, art and culture. Bradlaugh Hall is also historically significant as a melting pot where Hindu, Muslim and Sikh communities came together to organize political sessions, host visiting leaders and literary meet-ups. Since its construction, the Hall has undergone several changes in its use by building inhabitants and property owners highlighting the choice architecture and multi-functional use of its space.
Special Thanks: Lahore Waste Management Company, AWKAF
Image credits: Athanasios Anagnostopoulos, Lahore Biennale Foundation